Monday, October 06, 2003

my ears are still ringing

[written last night, posted today]
To resuscitate the bits and pieces I had intended to write about the last few weeks would be an insurmountable task. The only major event of the last few weeks was the return of Jon "Marty" Allen. Without warning he showed up at our doorstep bearing pictures, old Iraqi currency, and tales of all his earthly possessions being reduced to a smoldering heap of ash. It was quite a relief to see that Marty made it back safe and sound.

In contrast to much of the last few weeks the previous few days have been rather busy. Nat and I have started planning for our halloween party, which I'll mention more about soon. Xandy introduced me to internet radio. I've been a regular listener to a few live365 stations and the Detroit Industrial Underground. On Thursday I made a reappearance in the club scene by visiting Perversion. I had nearly forgotten how much I love being in the middle of a crowd of fishnet and vinyl clad people throbbing and stomping to the beat of dark,
harsh music. I need to go clubbing more often.

Friday evening I went out with Seth, Jenny M, and Nat to the Bigfoot Lodge. I'm not really sure why we went there. Just to be out of the house and have a beer I suppose. I think I'm kind of bored of the regular bars we go to. Need to find somewhere new.

I accompanied Joe and Ryan Bacon to Aron's Famous Parking Lot Sale Saturday morning. I've never seen so many obscure CDs in my life. And people were hauling them away by the boxload. In the evening I went over to Montrose for Oktoberfest. I would never had guessed that such large crowds would turn out for $5 beer and $4 hotdogs outside of a baseball stadium. Clearly nothing can prevent people celebrating their German heritage by drinking insipid American beer and overpriced soft drinks. To build on this authenticity a local karate club paraded through and held a demonstration for the festival goers. To the theme music of Mortal Kombat various groups and individuals ran up onto the stage, sparred briefly with the others or with the air and tumbled offstage. Sometimes guys dressed like thugs would go onto the stage and look menacing until a young student ran up and kicked them in the nuts. The best part was when the little kids showed the rather amusing self-defense technique of throwing their backpacks at badguys. I pity the miscreant who attempts to kidnap those children. Anyway, the highlight of the event for me was the rare opportunity to walk around in public holding a beverage without violating half a dozen laws. For the record, the honorable Matt Stahl was also at Oktoberfest with me.

Later in the evening Shane, Dave Faulkner and I went to the Short Stop and discussed military funding sources and man-made diamonds. This afternoon I attended the fourth lesson of the current swing dancing class. Level II is difficult, but definitely enjoyable. My only problem with the class is the unwholesome lack of females. Both classes today had about 10 extra men. Later on I found myself passing through the ancient shopping cart burial ground known as the Walmart parking lot. I wish I'd had a camera with me. The cart corrals were overflowing. Many a parking space was occupied by a herd of lost carts. Overturned carts littered the medians and lanes. If I ever want to film a post-apocalyptic movie I know where
to go.

Well, that brings me to tonight. Despite having a good day it's kind of a sad evening. Tonight was the end of the road for US women's team in the World Cup. It was a rather unexpected and emotional loss. The US team contained more top ranked players than any other in the world and looked well on their way to taking the cup. As the game ended several of the US players were in tears. This was the last competition for some of the stars like Mia Hamm. For me the saddest part was that Brandi Chastain, one of the most colorful players in women's soccer, was never able to return after being injured in the first game. This must be a pretty discouraging way for the women to end this season of their lives. Unfortunately I'll have to miss their last game in the tournament which will determine the 3rd place team. But, I still think they're the most talented bunch of women soccer players in the world and they're in no danger of losing my admiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home