Friday, February 28, 2003

Yesterday.

You're about to see the word "yesterday" a great number of times. Why? Because I'm going to type the word "yesterday" a great number of times. This is due to the fact that everything interesting this week happened yesterday, and I'll be refering to yesterday many times. So ...

Yesterday, I did laundry. Pretty boring so far, eh? In fact, it was. But, yesterday, I observed a glimspe of a rare occurance at the laundromat: a white person! The white girl I saw starting her laundry just before I left was probably the 3rd or 4th white person I've ever seen doing laundry there. And I've been washing my clothes there for about two years. I estimate that I see 40-50 people there per visit, mostly latino, some black, but almost never white. So rarely, in fact, that I'm mildly surprised when I see one. A white person, at the laundromat? How strange. Then I remember, oh yeah, I'm white too. Sometimes while I'm doing my laundry I stop and wonder, where the hell do all the white people wash their clothes? Is there some secret underground white person laundromat? Can it really be that nearly every single white guy in our area lives in laundry-included housing? I guess it seems surprising to me that the demographic differences in housing situation could be so extreme. Or, maybe there are just a lot of white people out there in dirty clothes.

Also yesterday, I received a package for a friend, Krishna, who is arriving tomorrow. This is not ususual, I've been receiving packages all week long for him. Boxes of various shapes, sizes and weight have been arriving via FedEx, UPS, and USPS. All addressed to Krishna. All are parts for a project he and I will work on. Yesterday, the UPS guy greeted me with another delivery, but I noticed a tinge of nervousness in his voice. He was holding a long cylindrical package that resembled a rolled up poster. Before handing it to me, he mumbled something like "it feels kind of .... heavy, like it's made of ...." "Metal?" I asked. He nodded and held out the package trying not to look worried. I smiled and told him it was probably just a pipe, but I don't think that made feel any better about it. I should have asked him if he would like to watch me open it.

So, yesterday was the slashdot meet-up. I noticed that the meeting place was 3 blocks from my house, so I wandered down to Zeli's coffee bar in search of fellow slashdotters. As I was entering, someone called out to me and I found myself staring at Mike Axeen. Mike works for the same company as Jenny and apparently reads slashdot as well. A couple other people showed up as well, but I didn't stick around very long. I had to run because yesterday was a busy day.

Yesterday evening I went out with Shane and Matt to the Bigfoot Lodge in search of action. Instead we found a weird band with painted faces and a bunch of guys dressed like they were in the Ramones. But, I did find out that I really like the smell of Acqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani, whose website is really annoying to navigate. Anyway, we ditched the place in favor of In-n-Out and savored our animal style burgers until closing time. On the way out Shane inquired about the fate of a large tub of fries. Upon learning that they were to be thrown out Shane suggetsed that they be given to us instead. Immediately we found ourselves bestowed with the largest box of fries I have ever seen. We stepped outside to find three cop cars descending on a small rusty parked car and it's nervous occupants. The three of us stood for a minute in the parking lot watching the cops, eating from a huge box of fries. And, thus ended yesterday.

OK, I told Jenny, I would answer the Friday Five, so here they are:

1. What is your favorite type of literature to read (magazine, newspaper, novels, nonfiction, poetry, etc.)?

Probably poetry. But, it's easier to find good novels than good poets so I'm more likely to pick up a novel.

2. What is your favorite novel?

Hmmmm.... this is difficult. Probably Dune by Frank Herbert. I also like One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich, The Fall and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

3. Do you have a favorite poem? (Share it!)

I certainly couldn't pick one. The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám is perhaps one of the best books of poetry ever. I love Stolen Waters by Lewis Carroll and The Day Is Done. My favorite poet is probably is probably Edgar Allan Poe. I like The City in the Sea, A Dream Within a Dream and Dreamland.

4. What is one thing you've always wanted to read, or wish you had more time to read?

I really enjoy reading about WWII and I have this cool book called Hitler's War by Heinz Magenheimer that I started but never finished and I wish I had time for it.

5. What are you currently reading?

God In The Dock by CS Lewis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home