Tuesday, March 11, 2003

What I really need is a trained monkey to write my blog for me. He could follow me around all day taking notes, then blog everything in the evening. Perhaps I would revise it slightly, correcting the occasional grammatical error or suggesting a more eloquent phrasing. Afterward the monkey and I would kick back and crack open a couple beers or a banana liqueur while we laugh at the each other's various witty remarks. Yes, I definitely need a monkey.


You see, I've had no time to blog lately. All of my spare time has been dedicated to important projects like building a gas turbine engine or watching Nate rescue Zelda. Krishna has been hard at work tracking down the endless stream of parts needed. This involves buying about 8 incorrect parts for every piece that actually fits. Equipment can be hard to get as well, especially if you want a medium-size plasma cutter. It took over 25 phone calls and a couple failed trips to find the right place. Eventually we were referred to a company in Long Beach called Arcrent (affiliated with Praxair) who outfitted us with everything we need. My car is currently home to a plasma cutter, a mig welder, a compressor, a cylinder of argon and a sizeable collection of pots, pans and other parts. Oh, and there is a go-kart frame strapped to the roof.


It's a more complicated project than we first estimated. Leaf blowers, compression fittings, oil coolers, break lines, pressure gauges. Every day is full of lessons. Saturday's lesson was never rent equipment from Home Depot when Harbor Freight sells it for less than the rental cost. Sunday's lesson was there is no such thing as too many washers. Each day we are reminded of the rule: never trust anyone selling auto parts. We were finally able to use the plasma cutter Sunday evening. It's sort of like using a light saber, at very close range. It cuts through 1/2 inch metal like a knife through warm butter. Mmmmm.... glowing red steel. We still have a lot of work ahead. But, firing up a jet engine strapped to a go-kart will be worth the effort.


We also learned two things about gas pumps and credit cards. First, gas pumps have a $50 credit limit. This is not difficult to hit while refilling a '67 New Yorker at current gas prices. We also found out that if you try to use one credit card three times within a short span of time at the same gas station the pump locks up and flashes “SEE ATTENDANT NOW”. Presumably so the attendant can inform you that you are using a stolen card.


In other news Shane's work was mentioned on slashdot. I made a small amount of money playing poker on Thursday. A Canadian woman was fired for stopping to help a gunshot victim. And, the dollar is falling. I ran across a rather amusing headline related to this: Dollar Stays Soft Despite Snow's Support. The article begins by saying “The dollar stayed weak on Wednesday even as U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow voiced support for a strong dollar.” What? This guy getting up to a podium and saying that he likes the idea of a stronger dollar is supposed to improve things? What does he normally say, “we'd like to see the dollar sink even more”? Apparently he repeated his efforts saying, “Let me reiterate my support for the strong dollar.” Is the dollar supposed to feel encouraged by his warm words? Did he clap and try to get the wave started? I can just imagine a team of cheerleaders beside him shouting “GOOOOOO DOLLAR!” Commenting on the strong dollar policy one insightful researcher deduced, “It looks convincing when the dollar is strong, and doesn't look convincing when the dollar is weak.” Thank God for the experts.


Well, it will probably be a while before my next post. Krishna and I will continue to be thoroughly occupied with our project. Hopefully we'll be off in the desert this weekend testing it out. I doubt I'll have time before then to update the blog. If I'm not at my desk working I'll be in the back yard or Blacker. If you get really bored just watch this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home