Tuesday, June 03, 2003

1 am

It's easy to park at 1am. It's easy to find what I want in Ralphs at 1am, no one is crowding the aisles. At 1am, it's easy to pick a checkout line, because only one is open. The drive back home is easy at 1am since the roads are empty and the traffic light at Walnut switches for me immediately. It's easy to blog at 1am, all is calm and free of distraction. The crowds have gone home, the rush has subsided. I like 1am. I feel like 1am waits patiently for me all day long. It lingers in the shadows until the busier hours have faded or wandered off like frat boys at a dying party. Then it calmly strolls out to greet me and we walk beside each other in silence. I wish it could always be 1am, serene and vacant. How can people sleep through such a beautiful moment? Oh, but it would be spoiled if people stayed up to see it. Fine, let the endless throng occupy the daylight hours. As long as I can keep 1am.