Friday, October 10, 2003

oh, yeah, i left

Currently, I'm sitting at my aunt's computer in Hartville, OH. I flew out yesterday to visit my brother, Alex who is here for another week before he sets off to New Hampshire to begin work for a theatre. On a whim, my other brother, Dan, decided to drive up today from Atlanta to join us, though he won't arrive until midnight or so. Tomorrow all of us will trek out to Cedar Point for a day of thrills.

My flight out here was uneventfully dreary. It was also the first time since 9/11/01 when I haven't been pulled out of line for special personalized harassment from TSA. My flight left at 7am so I had stayed up all night and foolishly intended to sleep on the plane. I hate United. One of the worst parts of plane travel is the painstakingly slow arrival. Especially in Chicago, after circling the airport for ages, then taxiing for even longer across a maze of runways we had to wait a short distance from our gate until another plane finally decided to move out of our way. Finally, there was an unexplained five minute delay before they even opened the cabin door. The time between the captain's "final decent" announcement and leaving the plane was about an hour. My roommate and I had been discussing this annoyance the night before. If only we could just strap on a parachute and jump out as the plane neared the airport. The solution, we decided, was to equip all planes with large detachable crates. Upon approach all disbarking passengers and their luggage would be loaded into the crate. The plane would swoop down and release the crate above a long slide that curves up at the end. When the crate comes to a stop everyone piles out. I guess the plane would need a big hook to pick up new cratefuls of passengers as well. Ok, that's enough brilliant ideas for one day. I'm off to throw a frisbee with my little cousin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home