Thursday, May 12, 2005

gmail in translation

I learned today that you can use gmail in multiple languages. Obviously I had to see this in action for myself. Unhesitantly I click on Settings and selected and promptly select Deutsch. Instantly the English page vanishes and the German language page starts loading. For several minutes the novelty is enough to keep my mind off the fact that I don't actually speak German and have no idea how to change it back to English. A brief period of trial and error reveals that the German word for Settings is "Einstellungen". The language menu is easy enough to locate and I move on to what is probably either traditional or simplified Chinese. But, unexpectedly I am confronted by a pop-up warning asking "Möchten Sie Chinesisch auch als Ihre bevorzugte Sprache für andere Google-Sites übernehmen?" I have absolutely no idea what I'm about to commit to so I promptly click "Nein". The Chinese version is somewhat more difficult to navigate.

Apparently ?? means "settings" in Chinese since it lead me back to the necessary page to restore the familiar English. Most basic navigation isn't too hard in other languages since I know where the "Inbox" and "Archive" buttons are. The difficulty comes in picking out which menu option is "delete" or which link is "reply to all". It's an interesting way to spice up the mail checking experience. So, I think I'll spend the rest of the day browsing my mail in Russian. Ah, a new message in my ????????!

2 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, May 13, 2005, Blogger Kat said...

try using a chinese keyboard sometime. more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

 
At 5:11 PM, May 18, 2005, Blogger Jenny said...

LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home