Tuesday, June 01, 2004

the high life

My dream is to someday purchase an overpriced, tastelessly painted recreational boat that I leave in my garage and take out only one day a year. Then I'll drive 500 miles to an overcrowded lake and pay for the use of a tiny dock so I can drink cans of crappy beer while on a lake. Surrounded by other fat, balding losers doing the same. Oh, and I'll name my boat something really original like Pimpin' Aint Easy, that'll bring lots of chicks.

shudder

Can anyone explain this mentality to me? What really baffles me is the substantial popularity of boat ownership. And of using said boats to clog Interstate 40 for hours every Memorial day weekend. I've seen potholes with better road manners than these people. RVs bug me even more. Scourge of the road. They go about 50mph uphill or downhill, cut off cars that are doing 80mph, and overtake each other at 0.0021mph. To be even more obnoxious RVs often have fast-sounding names like Hurricane, Fourwinds or Pace Arrow. Uh, yeah, that thing looks just like an arrow. Darting along the freeway like a ground sloth through tar. And how fun can it really be to go "camping" in an RV while parked next to 3000 other people doing the same thing? You're not exactly getting out in nature if you have to clear away the candy wrappers to see the trail. How many summer "outdoor" vacationers really want to see nature and how many are just following the crowd to popular spots, driven by some Brave-New-World-esque need to engage in recreation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home